Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Let me dress you

I had the fortune of starting Nordies the first week of December. From day one we were busy, busy, busy. LOVE THAT! When I am at work I gotta move, it's always been that way. I remember telling a head hunter in 1990, don't give me a job where I have little to do, I will drive everyone crazy trying to find something to fill my time (pre-Internet era of course!). 

So since the holidays are over, the slow down has hit us! No one is shopping for a hot superbowl outfit these days. Wednesday was another ho hum day, I cleaned everything, re-arraigned clothes, took all the breaks possible, purused all the other departments and nothing to do until Ashley came into my department and said the magic words I love to hear, "I need help". I felt like the trumpets started going off in my head - dah dah! I asked her questions to figure out what she needed. Is this for work or fun, she said "both". Then I asked her what she did, she's a elementary school teacher for special ed kids. OK my heart sank, she must be sweet right? And, not a ton of money, so we had to pick items that could go a long way. She told me her wardrobe was bare, no color (AH HA!), nothing updated, she needed everything and needed to be shown how to wear it. I felt like Clark Kent turned to Superman in an instant.......here we go! 

We picked the basics, 
Black & brown slacks: these were on sale for $40.00 each, they looked fabulous, they flared a bit at the bottom, just enough to thin out and elongate her legs.  Brown & grey dressy cardigans (on sale $20.00 each) and tan casual cardigan (short cardigans for her - she had an adorable bum - of course she did, she's 25!) With the brown cardigan, I picked a yellow ruffle shirt to go under or a pink t-shirt. Yes brown and pink - C.U.T.E. Also, the pink T can be worn with the grey cardigan. She originally loved the ruffle shirt in hot pink, and my motto is if you LOVE something, get it in two colors, at least you won't wear out the one. Plus you'll be happy you did. I also picked a "sweet pea" top. These are great for layering and give a lot of color and fun to an outfit. Can be worn with jeans or slacks. Boot cut jeans (David Kahn's - I highly recommend, they don't show your crack and they are not high waisted either - you still feel cool and look classy). One adorable red jacket a
nd yellow ruffle shirt underneath, this can be worn with her new jeans and gold flats or dressed up with slacks or dressy dark jeans and heals. There was more, but I can't remember everything.....

Ashley was so fun, showing me each outfit as she went along and insisted that I show her how to wear everything and with what shoes. You know I love this!!!! Who me, tell you what to do, Oh stop!!!  

 I remember being in my mid-20's thinking, I can now start buying some staples for my closet, expensive suits, jackets, etc. I realized I was no longer growing (upward that is) and it was time to stop shopping at Contempo Casuals the 80's version of Forever 21 and start shopping at Bebe (this was way back when bebe first started, they carried only suits, that were extremely fashionable and well made).

She came out of the dressing room and brought everything I suggested, except the expensive jeans (she'll be back - we all need one dark, wide leg jeans - for date night!). We exchanged emails and I told her I would send her a link to my blog. See her comments below.

Trade secrete - when wearing a cardigan, or jacket (not ooohhh it's cold outside jacket, but this I am wearing to complete my outfit jacket) button only one or two buttons right under your boobs. Leave the rest undone. This will give you a smaller waist and if you have a print shirt under - it will elongate your torso, the eyes looking at you will be forced to go up and down, not side to side. 
Katya,
You are GREAT! Thank you again so much for all our help yesterday. I can't even tell you how many compliments I got today on my new outfit. Even my students were complementing me. I felt so good and my closet is so happy to finally see color in it. You always kept my budget in mind and were super helpful.... unlike most sales people who are just super pushy and only care about the sale, rather than the customer. I just checked out your blog. I am going to join. I love it....definitely something that I will check often.

I wish you so much luck with your business. I honestly believe that if you follow your passion and believe in yourself anything is possible. I can tell you are the real deal. You have a natural ability for this business..not only do you have excellent fashion sense - you also have a great personality which will take yo so far in this type of business. This will not be the last you hear from me. My Mom wanted to know if you do personal shopping for men as well? 

You are such a beautiful person and I look forward to watching you progress.

Ashley A.



6 comments:

  1. She is right - you are fabulous and talented!
    But tell her you are MY friend - and I will take her if need be.

    Love you - this was fantastic. When I get a few more pounds off I will be in too. I was afraid to try to shop because I thought I couldn't afford Nordys - but of course I should have known you'd find a way to make them accessible.
    Love you - see you tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are Great!!! Thank you, again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are alive on the page, just like you come alive in the store. I know about your energy, enthusiasim and expertise. It wasn't long ago I was your "Ashley". Ditto to everything Ashley said above.

    If only there were a way to get the word out about how easy you make the shopping experience. But wait, then there won't be time for me next time I come in on a "Help, I need clothes and haven't a clue what's in, or what looks good on me," shopping spree.

    You are the best Katya.

    I'm very proud of you and your talent.

    Love,
    Linda

    p.s. Thanks to Ashley for writing such a wonderful thank you appreciation note.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Awsome Katya ! I love to hear your enthusiasm, I want that !!! We'll have to talk. keep it up girlfriend!
    Susan M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awesome Katya!

    It so so wonderful when things work out.

    What a beautiful "win/win" story.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! so cool Katya! You really know your stuff. Can't wait till it's my turn up for bat. No, if I can just get a job!!
    love you
    A.

    ReplyDelete