Saturday, January 10, 2009

My ranting for the day.

I'm just saying....if you have a clothing aficionado in your presence, take her advice! GEEZE. Today I worked from 1 to 9 and attempted to dress dozens of women. See the word "attempted". Now I know my style may not be your style, I get that! I love orange, it may look like crap on you, I get that. 
Example:
More than what you wear - it's the size of what you are wearing. I would say 80% of customers I come in contact with are too large for what they are trying to squeeze into or are smaller people wearing clothes too big. I had a woman who was petite, tiny, tiny and she tried on a medium sweater, it looked like a dress on her, and she wanted to wear it with tailored pants. She looked like a little girl wearing her moms clothes. I had to plead with her to try on the small.....she finally did and bought it - but UGH the persuading I had to do. I mean she looked ridiculous in the medium. 
FYI - Petite does not mean skinny! Please get the word out there! Petite means your limbs are shorter than the regular size clothes. If everything you buy you have to get the pants hemmed, the sleeves are too long, the jacket which is supposed to hit you at the hips is hitting you mid-thigh, well then my friend, you are petite. You can be a size 12 and be petite
Then I was approached by a customer who should be shopping in plus size, and she was squeezing into large tops (not XL, nooo she wanted large only). Now look, I once had to shop in the plus shops - it's not fun, it took some time for me to get out of denial and into Layne Bryant, plus everyone I know wants to be smaller than they are (even if they don't need to be) so I do sympathize. BUT acceptance is the key. If you are squeezing into clothes to small, then guess what you look like? You look like you "used" to be smaller and now your clothes don't fit. You are telling the world you have gained weight (you may not have = but this is the message you are sending out) with new clothes!
My point - use another set of honest eyes when trying on clothes and heed their advice.
OK I am done ranting.

No comments:

Post a Comment