Saturday, January 3, 2009

What am I doing here??

Let me begin by telling you - copying is the sincerest form of flattery. A friend suggested a few months ago I should start a fashion blog......and I thought that was a novel idea but I'm already emailing, reluctantly getting texts on my phone, I'm on linkedin and facebook....so another computer thing - no way!

Well here I am! 

This last year has been about change, change and more change. I am 40 and wondering what I want to do when I grow up. So you'll be following my journey with me and see what God has in store for this new year.

So from the title - in my mind, I have always been a Persian Princess, no really. My father was born and raised in Iran (they like to call it Persia) his mother is from Russia and swears we have "blue blood" we are royalty! My father met my Danish mother in London and years later they were married and had me in Denmark. We moved to North Hollywood when I was in 1st grade. All the Persian's followed my dad to California, and so I was raised Persian. I believe this is where the little fashionista in me began.  When I was 12 or 13 my uncle Sebou came here from Paris, he was a well known hair dresser, very flamboyant, and swore he was straight (right!). PS there are no gay Persian men - per Dad.  Anywhoo - he came to stay with us and thus began my quest to look fabulous. He taught me how to put on make-up, did my hair, and took me shopping. We bought pink and green espadrilles, a matching bag and a pink summer dress. From this moment on.....I was hooked. Who knew you could feel so good from looking good. I know it sounds a bit vain, but hey look around. Who's walking around in a potato sack?? We like to look good, right? 

Just to give you a little background on growing up Persian in LA, here's a few things that stand out in my mind:
Going to a family funeral and realizing 90% of the women were in Chanel suits and from the youngest to the oldest everyone's hair and make-up was PERFECT, as if they just came from the salon. Young or old, pretty or not, every Persian woman is "done". Whether they are going to the market, the funeral, or an evening out - they are done! 

Don't get me wrong, I love being Persian. I love our quirks, family craziness, beliefs, strong accents (I can imitate a Persian living in Sherman Oaks perfectly and will do so at any given time) food, customs and more. 

So here I am blogging, sharing with you my journey into the fashion world plus what ever else comes my way.

My first tip:
Pants (jeans or slacks): If they are smaller at the ankle than they are at the knee......unless you are a size 0-2, if you put them on, you now look like a pear, and not a slim one either.  OR If your pants don't brush/lean on your shoes, if they are flooding, toss them out......you wear them and you now look like a box with ankles and feet.  Boot cut, wide leg (not crazy wide) this is the way to go! This goes for all pants, sweats, slacks, jeans, etc. This goes for all heights, weights and shapes. Trust me. I've dressed enough people to know.

7 comments:

  1. You did IT! You're a blogger. Welcome aboard.

    So, now, further explanation needed..... You say, "OR if your pants don't brush/lean on your shoes, if they are flooding...." First question: What is flooding? Second question: Are you saying I should toss out my 2 pairs of Costco (believe it or not...one pink and one baby blue) flannel pajama bottoms that Ray washed and dried and now hang 2 inches above my ankles? I knew I didn't like them short. I knew I felt dorky in them. I have to show my husband your blog, so he'll stretch them long again and hang dry these jammies so I look stylish on my way to bed.

    I love you,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. On my way to my room to clear out more than half of my closet......@$%&!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I NEVER shop. TODAY I shopped. Do you know what I bought? A pair of skinny jeans that according to you will make me look like a PEAR!! What if that's my shape? I'm pear shaped. :( And I thought I looked good. I told you I need help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too fun Katya!

    I love Persian flare.

    But, I fly in face of fashion danger - and love it! Call me a rebel; I do what I want.
    I make things that don't fit together, go together. That's why I'm an artist.

    www.susanlowerymusic.com
    http://susanswildishwhims.blogspot.com

    Love,

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome aboard! Can you help an overweight, pear shaped older lady with a huge butt look skinny? If so, call right away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting! I will be reading and hope to learn. Lots of love, Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the blog intro - and thank you so much for the shopping trip last week. I love, love, LOVE those KUT jeans you picked out for me. Sue

    ReplyDelete