Tuesday, December 31, 2013

To Accessorize or not to accessorize

I'm back to answering one of the questions posted on Facebook:

GC: How to accessorize without spending a fortune. Problem: I've always purchased cheap jewelry because I lose small items frequently. However, I'm tired of cheap jewelry staining my skin & breaking (go figure). I go to bloomies to get nicer pieces, but I don't want to spend $200 on one ring. I need a few key pieces to pull my look together & look polished at work, but don't know where to start. Also- I'd be OK with dropping some money on some key, quality pieces, but how do you know when you're getting a good deal on jewelry?! (She lives in Beverly Hills, works in an office setting by day, student by night, in her 20’s and very fashion conscious – she shops too much)

OK GC, you may not like my response, it's definitely not your typical fashionista's opinion and I know stylists across LA focus on accessories....so to take a risk and go against what most stylist say......I'm not a big accessory girl and here's why.

Being raised with a Persian family, real jewelry was common for everyone to wear. Children received gifts of jewelry instead of toys. I have gold charm and bangle bracelets that were given to me when i was a toddler, they are so small I can't wear them now.  Most gifts consisted of jewelry, that's just how it was. So we never wore fake jewelry. As I grew older and wanted to accessorize, I couldn't get myself to pay more than $20 for fake jewelry. I have the same problem you do, the fake stuff starts to fade, smell like wet metal, or turns your skin green. That can't be good! The only good fake jewelry I have is a multiple strand pearl necklace, this I love and makes my outfits look "smart". 

So that being said, I wear mostly real jewelry. It's worth the investment, they are timeless classic pieces that work year after year. I wear the multiple pearl strand, a few long silver necklaces with charms and mostly scarfs for accessories.

If you really want to invest in some key pieces, I would first decide are you going gold or silver? Invest in one metal first, then the other (that's if you want both). I'm going to guess it's silver. I hope I'm right. I would invest in 2 rings, one for each hand, one big maybe with a stone and the other a bit smaller. One big cuff bracelet, one or two link bracelets, and earrings, simple. Keep in mind, jewelry is very personal, you have to choose what stands out to you. 

If you don't want to lose anything make it a habit to put your jewelry in one place. I have a decorative box where my everyday jewelry goes, I have silver and gold choices (each metal: 2 rings, 1 watch, bracelets, 1 set of earrings, 2 necklaces). When I walk in the door, I take my jewelry off and put it in the box. If I go to the gym, I have one pouch in my purse with a zipper I put the jewelry in and when I come home I empty it into the box. It's a habit that was hard to create, but after losing some jewelry I made sure to make this habit.

So I heard you say this is to wear for work and be polished, so here are some suggestions, again this is my taste, but choose your own:

Michael Kors rings (you don't have to purchase his rings, I just like the big size)


Bangles:


However if you are dying to accessorize I would do a few things. I've said it before, Ebay is awesome. If you can plan out what you want, not be impulsive, you can save tons of money. I would go to the mall, find name brand costume jewelry you like and then try to find it on Ebay.  For example my Michael Kors watch was $300 in stores and $175 on Ebay  plus it's the real thing, no fakes. 

Another place to shop is www.baublebar.com, they have some nice costume jewelry and the prices are reasonable.  

I hope that was helpful......

No comments:

Post a Comment