Saturday, December 28, 2013

"I'm short and chubby (NOT) Help!!!"


Yesterday my “lovefabu” (www.lovefabu.com – go there already!) girls called me and said they want more posts! Geesh, I’ve never been told to blog. “Don’t tell me what to do” was my favorite sentence growing up, or “you’re not the boss of me” that was the other fav. I had a little panic, what do I blog about? I’m usually inspired and then I blog. I had no inspiration. I just see bad choices everywhere I go. That saying “you can’t judge a book by it’s cover” well it’s true, however that’s the first way you are judged until you open your mouth. I was fortunate, I grew up with a father that was clothing designer, a family of Persians who would rather be dead than be caught in sweat pants or mom jeans and how you presented yourself was important.

So I posted on facebook asking if anyone had fashion questions, figuring I would get snarkey silly remarks and I was super surprised! Here’s what they said:

EF: I'm short and chubby.... Help (lives in Studio City, CA, professional woman over 40 – not chubby!)

TM: When do I wear a tie? (Eclectic guy, works in the entertainment industry, lives in Los Angeles, over 40)

PH: I can't seem to get myself out of flip-flops. Wear them everywhere, with everything. Think I need help? (Lives in Florida, professional woman over 40)

GC: How to accessorize without spending a fortune. Problem: I've always purchased cheap jewelry because I lose small items frequently. However, I'm tired of cheap jewelry staining my skin & breaking (go figure). I go to bloomies to get nicer pieces, but I don't want to spend $200 on one ring. I need a few key pieces to pull my look together & look polished at work, but don't know where to start. Also- I'd be OK with dropping some money on some key, quality pieces, but how do you know when you're getting a good deal on jewelry?! (She lives in Beverly Hills, works in an office setting by day, student by night, in her 20’s and very fashion conscious – she shops too much)

SKS: Age appropriate fashion tips. I.e. even though it's Southern California, at what age should a woman no longer bare her legs and go with stockings? What about swimwear- I don't care about the fact you CAN wear a bikini, when does it become inappropriate? Skirt lengths for 45+ and exceptions to the rule. #keepitclassyLosAngeles (she just got engaged! Lives in LA, she’s a mom and a professional woman)

AV: Tops that are longer. More flattering on me. I think? (Over 40, she’s a mom of 4 all under the age of 13, she’s a full time mom, wife and works from home)

AC: 1. Basics for each season - good prices and how to get past being overwhelmed in department stores/malls. 2. "Breaking up with Black" - how to bring color into your wardrobe. 3. Coats, sweaters, stuff that can be versatile and lasting. (Avoiding "paper clothes" that only last a few washes) 4. How to use what is in your closet now am spruce it up with a few pieces. Love. (She’s over 40, works a professional full time job, goes to school at night)

OE: My dilemma is my husband just won't listen to me...he has fashion dilemmas (Professional woman over 35, and fairly new mommy of 2)

SB: Dear Katya, I am a full-grown man. I wear a 38. I love a good cool pair of jeans. However, it seems the majority of cool jeans, let's say... Have a minuscule zipper and groin room cut for a "short draw" like that of a pre-pubescent boy. I need a cool jean for a FULL grown man. Any ideas?? (He’s in the real estate industry in Santa Clarita, CA, married with a young daughter)

FP: Katya, I'm fairly disappointed with the over all reflection of myself in the mirror (Where do I start!)


So today’s blog will answer; EF: I'm short and chubby.... Help (lives in Studio City, CA, professional woman over 40 – not chubby!)

pe·tite
pəˈtēt/
adjective
1.(of a woman) having a small and attractively dainty build.
"she was petite and vivacious"
synonyms: small, dainty, diminutive, slight, little, tiny, elfin, delicate, small-boned; size-zero; wee; informal pint-sized "these dresses are designed for the more petite woman"

First of all you’re not chubby at all, you’re just not crack skinny like when you were 20 (ummm none of us are!).  Now you are not short, you’re petite (everyone under 5’3 is petite)– learn that word P.E.T.I.T.E Petite! Doesn’t that sound classy, dainty, and cute? Much better than “Short”, short sounds harsh, yucky, and unattractive.  Go to the mall, there isn’t one department called the “short” department…. it’s petite. OK so now that we are clear on that.

Second of all, petite is nice. All men are taller than you, pants will never be too long, you can refer to yourself as “tiny”, you fit everywhere you go, your legs will never be crushed when you sit in a plane, I can go on and on.

Thirdly, everyone petite wants to be tall, stop it. Stop it and own your height. 

Here’s how:

Don’t:
  • Wear heels over 4” tall.  You will never be tall, so wearing heels that are super high heeled just look silly (unless you’re under 30 – you can’t help but wish you owned a pair of Christian Louboutin’s so you’re wearing copy’s that have heels 6” and higher plus you can’t walk and look funny – you go guuurrrll!)
  • Wear capri’s, they cut your leg off where the pants stop, so you shorten your short legs. Either pants, leggings or shorts – no capris.
  • Wear big wrap sweaters, big over sized sweaters; you look like you’re drowning in a blanket.
  • Wear jackets or sweaters that hit you at the hips – this is a bad cut for you.
  • Wear anything over sized; big clothes do not look good on petite women. 

Do:
  • Wear flats, a good pair of ballet flats with cigarette pants, JCrew calls them “café Capri pants” but they are not capri’s. (No cheap shoes, never buy cheep shoes, they look cheep) buy leopard, pink, orange, pattern – get fun!
  • Wear jackets and sweaters that stop at your natural waist or just below.  Or coats that are ¾ length.
  • Wear flat boots with leggings (thick leggings in one size too small – they suck it all in) and a sweater that has wide waste that hits you right at the middle of your but cheek.  Or flat boots with skinny jeans and a jacket/sweater that hits you at your waste.
  • Shop in the petite department.  Find a cut and style you like then shop on line for more.
  • Wear mini’s!! Yes because you are petite you can still wear a mini without looking like whore! YAY! Especially in winter with leggings, tights, flat boots – too cute!
Here's some visuals for you. Now some of the colors and patterns are probably out of your comfort zone....take a risk sista!








No comments:

Post a Comment