Saturday, January 11, 2014

"Breaking up with Black" - how to bring color into your wardrobe

Why we love black.....it matches everything, we think it makes us look skinny and sophisticated, we can't mix and match so it's easy, we are afraid to step out and buy something different, blah blah blah.

Let me just say this to you all who only wear black. It's starting to look like a prison issue uniform, no matter how many new clothes you buy, you look like you're wearing the same thing, always. Plus it's boring, you're boring. Do you want to be boring? I think not!

Also, here's a secret, black does not make you look skinny. Skinny makes you look skinny. I know... you're in a state of shock right now. You thought you were fooling everyone with that holiday weight you put on, you thought you were hiding it in your all black outfit.....umm nope, not happening.

So might as well venture out of black, right?

Someone was asking me the other day why I have so much color in my wardrobe, how do I do it? How do I know what colors to buy? The truth? I am a conservative shopper, well not in my fathers eyes, he wants me to save every penny for a rainy day because the sky is falling and one day we won't have money. My dad is also referred to as "Chicken Little - the sky is falling, the sky is falling". OK I digress, maybe some therapy will be in my near future.

Back to color. I find the cut and fit of clothing I like, what looks good on me, sits well on my frame, I don't fidget when it's on and I get compliments. Then I go shopping and look for it on sale, usually black, brown, tan, grey, white is gone and what is on sale is color. I buy the color. There my secret is out.

For example, I love love love Jcrews #2 Pencil skirt (if you are shorter than 5'6 have it hemmed, it's too long), and it regularly sells for $110.00. That's crazy for a skirt. However, it's made very well, it's super thick cotton (so you won't see any pantie lines), you can dry clean it often and the color and shape will keep, plus it's fully lined. Anything fully lined is awesome. I'm not willing to buy a cheaper version. I wait for them to go on sale and I buy what fits, right now I have 3 sitting in my closet that I wear summer and winter, hot pink, shocking yellow and black. I found the black on sale somehow!  Normally I wouldn't buy a bright yellow skirt, and if it was regular priced, there is no way I would have bought it. But for $39.99 hell yes I will.

Now how to wear color?  First you have to know which colors look good and which look bad. If you are olive toned, almost any color looks good on you. If you're not, I suggest going shopping with a BF that has good taste, go to a row of solid color blouses, sweaters, or what have you and in the brightest light you can find, hold the garment up to your face and ask her if you look washed out or healthy and there's your answer. Also you must like the color. People tell me all the time I would look good in red. Well guess what I hate red, I hate red cars, red nail polish and especially red clothes. Just for me though, I don't care if you wear it. Remember, just because it looks good on you doesn't matter, you have to like the color.

Next start small. Start buying scarves in colors you like and wear them with your black /grey/beige outfits. There is your pop of color. People will start complementing you and telling you how good that color looks on you. That scarf has brightened up your face, that is what they are noticing. PS you can buy scarfs on ebay for less than $10 delivered to your door!






With my bright colored skirts I have 3 pairs of shoes I wear usually; Cole Han peep toe pumps in cream patten leather, Michael Kors heels in tan with wood heels, and Nine west heels in light tan. OR  
go completely out the box and wear leopard shoes with a bright colored pant (except red. Red + Leopard = hooker). If you are going to buy leopard print shoes, the print must be small, large leopard print looks cheap. 







Ok ready to venture out even more? Before you do, here's something to keep in mind. If you are going to buy bottoms (skirt, dress or pants) in a color other than black, white, grey, beige or brown, you'll need neutral shoes. This is for dressy items, for the office or going out. Casual stuff I break rules, I wear crazy colored flats with different colored pants.

With my bright colored bottoms I try to keep the top more neutral. If you're new to wearing colors, I suggest one bright item at a time, take it easy.  I will wear Kelly green or bright yellow with navy and nude heels. Or I will wear one bright item with cream or grey. With black I like lime green, pink, baby blue, melon, yellow oh I can go on and on. Also, if you're a big chicken but you still want color, go buy a big leather handbag in your favorite bright color - that will be your accessory. Here's some pics so you can get the visual. Now go shopping!!!!!


 
 

 






2 comments:

  1. Love your post Katya. Thanks for clarification on the small vs large leopard print! I LOVE scarves. They are fun and there are so many styles, colors, prints, and material. I love giving scarves as gifts.

    ReplyDelete